Friday, January 22, 2016

Rain


When the ground soaks up the falling rain and bears a good crop for the farmer, it has God's blessing.  Hebrews 6:7

We have had some much needed and heavy rain overnight.  Yesterday my petunias were smiling at the world from their hanging basket but today they are drooping from the onslaught.  It's strange how something good can also damage and discourage.

Thinking of discouragement, my mind turns to the northern hemisphere and the floods in England.  Then just this week our news showed pictures of a town in Wales which had experienced rain for 81 days in a row.  Enough is enough!   Our weather patterns sure seem to be messed up along with the rest of the world!

It is so easy to smile at the world when the sun is shining but too much sun and dry weather is also a problem bringing drought to the farms, dust storms, danger of easily combustible vegetation and so on. Many of our New Zealand farmers are crying out for rain.  Balance is what we need and for me, that means taking the rain with the sun and being grateful for the benefits of each.

I am very aware of friends who are finding themselves in 'floods' in their lives with struggles, sickness and loss.  It's in these times we find it most difficult to see what possible benefits there could be. Sometimes it is literally impossible to see anything good.  This is where I would simply say, in the words of that beautiful old song...."Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace."  Yes, it may sound trite but friends, it is true.  We have to turn our eyes away from our situation and exercise our faith and trust in the One who has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you. " (Hebrews 13:5) and one of my favourite passages from Isaiah 43:2, 3a  (NLT) "When you go through deep waters, I will be with you.  When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown.  When you walk through the fire of oppression you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you.  For I am the Lord your God." 

We have great promises for rainy days but we have to pull them out and use them like we would  use a raincoat or umbrella to keep us from getting too wet and 'going under'.  The Word, mixed with your faith will do you good.  It is possible for us to 'bear a good crop' from our rain.  We have to look for the work God is doing in us and through us in those difficult times.  Just look at Joseph, Job and Jesus and the 'rains' they endured.  Look at the end result and be press on! Years ago when I was going through a difficult time I wrote this poem.

                     The way ahead’s uncertain
                    There’s a mist before my eyes
                    Of tears I’ve shed through many a night and day
                    And yet I know my Saviour
                    Will make a path for me
                    I’ll walk with Him till sunlight shines again.

Yes, the rain comes to do a work in our lives that, just like the rain outside, will cause growth in character and faith if we will trust Him who is faithful.

Prayer:  Heavenly Father,  thank you for the rain in my life.  I don't always like it but help me to turn my eyes away from the negative and thank you that in the 'rainy' times you are still my God, still faithful and able to sustain and encourage me as I look to you. Amen




No comments: