Friday, January 27, 2017

Who Is The Greatest?




"Who is greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven?" Matthew 18:1


Who is the greatest?  This shortened version of the disciples question is one often thought about, written about and spoken about in our world.  In his day Mohammed Ali voiced his own answer to the question. "I am the greatest."  Humility may not have been his greatest virtue, but then again, in the boxing arena he probably spoke the truth.  He was a great boxer.

When I read the account of the disciples asking this question I cringe for them.  As I do for James and John (or their mother) when I read about them asking to be seated at Jesus' side in heaven. (Matthew 20:20). Actually they were just being honest.  Many people think it but don't voice it.  When the disciples asked what I may consider inappropriate questions, it gave Jesus a perfect teaching opportunity.

I am re-reading "The Shack" at the moment (a controversial novel among some Christians), but I am enjoying the conversations between Papa and Mack.  Mack is experiencing the Trinity as 3 identities all interacting beautifully and in perfect harmony with each other yet he still has the very human question.  "Which one of you is in charge?"  In other words, "Who's the boss?"  Papa goes to great lengths to explain that in their 'world' no-one needs to be in charge because they work in perfect unity.  And of course, this is what God desires for his people.

In answer to the disciples' question Jesus teaches about humility and equality by taking a little child and says, in effect, "you've got to become like this little child".  As I thought on that I wondered about the age of the child because they so soon get into the very human way of wanting to be in charge. I've decided it had to be a baby!!  

Child-likeness, (not childishness), is the most valuable quality in God's sight.  It encompasses things like humility, dependence, trust and acceptance.  A child believes implicitly the father's word.  It doesn't doubt or question (until it gets older).  And it always thinks that it's Daddy is the greatest. That is the childlikeness that God is looking for in us; a mature but simple faith.  Without it we won't be entering the kingdom of heaven because we have to believe the Father when He says that we ALL have fallen short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23), that we ALL need to be redeemed, and God has done that through Jesus Christ (Romans 5:8) and He, and He alone is the only entry point to heaven (John 14:6).  

Prayer:  Lord God, help me to have the childlikeness that believes your word and trusts in Jesus' sacrifice alone as my entry into heaven.  Help me also to walk in humility towards all those I meet and mix with. Amen




No comments: