Sunday, January 1, 2017

Visitors



....Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him.  Ephesians 3:17

We have had the joy of welcoming quite a few people, both family and friends, into our home this past year.  Visits varied from just a cuppa through to stays for a few days.  These visits came about usually by invitation, either verbal or written so when they came people knew they would be welcomed, and they responded to our invitation accordingly. I hope that the welcome has been sufficient to make them feel valued, and to feel comfortable in our home.

These were passing encounters, but there is one visitor that I want to make increasingly welcome.  His name is Jesus and I want him to hang around.  I want him to be there because he is my "strong place" when the going gets rough, he is my peace in the face of rising bad news in the world, he is my comfort in sadness, and knowing His presence brings joy to strengthen me each day.  He is the kind of visitor we all need. For that to happen  we need to make him welcome and comfortable because His presence is conditional upon an invitation from us.  And as with any relationship, time spent together determines the depth and quality of the relationship.

As we stand at the threshold of this new year I pray the words of the Apostle Paul from Ephesians 3:16-19.....I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong.  And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is.  May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God.

May we increasingly know and truly believe in the great unconditional love that God, through Jesus Christ, has for us all as we journey into 2017.

Prayer:  Father God, thank you for the great gift of love you sent to us in the form of Jesus Christ.  Help me to increasingly make him welcome in my life that I might become a beacon of light and love to those around me.  Amen



No comments: