Monday, August 18, 2008

Now is the time……To Choose Your Words


May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my strength and my redeemer. Psalm 19:14

Did you ever stop to think of the power of the words that you speak? That they actually can bring life or death to a situation? It’s true; the Bible says so in Proverbs 18:21. Our words have power for life or death in our own life and in the lives of others. Perhaps that’s why Jesus warned that by our words we would be acquitted or condemned (Matthew 12:37).

There have been many times throughout my life when I could have “bitten my tongue” as my mother used to say. Times when I have spoken hasty words of ‘death’ that were angry, critical, unkind or complaining. I have long asked God to give me a wise tongue. Proverbs 12:18 says this, “Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.” In another place it says that “harsh words stir up strife but a gentle answer turns away wrath”. Proverbs 15:1.

My mother taught my sister and me a little rhyme when we complained that kids were mean to us. You know what it is! Sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me. I believed that for many years and taught my children the same words until I realized that it is a total lie. Unkind words and name-calling do hurt. In fact they have ruined many lives and done permanent harm to many people.

Let us never think that the words we speak don’t have power. There is so much written in the Bible about the power of words. Remember it is by the words of God “Let there be…..” that our world and everything in it was created. Hebrews 1:3 (NIV) says that Jesus is still “sustaining all things by his powerful word”. That is quite an amazing thought.

Our lives can and should be sustained by his powerful word. We need to read his word and store it in our hearts. It will keep us on a straight path and protect us from going astray if we will live by it. If we hide God’s word in our heart then it will be a storehouse of good treasure out of which we speak wisdom and life.

James chapter 3 speaks of the tongue as being a fire, a world of iniquity. He says that no man can tame the tongue and I believe that to be true. Only the Holy Spirit can tame our tongue as we yield it to him and ask his help. He is our hope and our helper.

Prayer: Holy Spirit, I yield my tongue to you today and ask for your help in speaking words of life; words that build up encourage and comfort those I come in contact with today. Amen

No comments: