Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Now is the time ...... To Dare to be Different


What counts is whether we really have been changed into new and different people. Galatians 6:15

A couple of years ago when we visited my aunt and uncle in Spain I met Kito and Oscar – they couldn’t have been more different. Kito is big and black and a little timid while Oscar is small and white and quietly confident. They are two dogs, a Doberman and a white haired Scottish terrier.

Kito and Oscar are Spanish bred dogs but because they live in an English speaking household, they understand English. This makes them different from other neighbourhood dogs. Even though they are so different in size and personality they live comfortably together in the same backyard, at times sharing the same kennel if it really gets cold in the winter; each is equally special and loved by their owners.

These two dogs were a great illustration to me of how, in spite of our great differences as people in race, colour, personality, size, shape and language, we are all equally special to God. We are unique and uniquely loved by him. The wonderful thing that dogs have over us human beings is that they don’t judge themselves or one another. At least I assume that to be the case but I am not a dog psychologist so I could be wrong, which would totally spoil my illustration!

For Kito and Oscar to compare themselves to each other would be ridiculous. It is equally foolish for us to compare ourselves to other people. We are different because each of us is made for a unique purpose in God’s plan. Accordingly he has given us gifts which will fit his plan and purposes for us in his Kingdom.

I observed how Kito and Oscar came confidently to their owners for loving attention. They seemed to know and be confident in the love of their owners. This is how God wants us to be towards him. He wants us to come confidently to him knowing that we are loved not only in spite of our differences, but because of them. We should not act timidly towards God, and if thoughts of not being good enough assail our minds, we can dismiss them as Satan’s lies to keep us from meeting with God.

Becoming a Christian automatically makes us different. We become a brand new creation but still an individual, fashioned for the purposes of God. Enjoy who he made you to be and enjoy your differences.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, thank you that you have no favourites. You love us all and you love us just as we are. Nothing that I can do can make you love me more, and there is nothing I have done or will do that will make you love me less. Help me to fulfil your special purposes for me. Amen

No comments: