Monday, August 18, 2008

Now is the time... To Take Your Position


"…when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth" John 16:13

The Beijing Olympic Games began this weekend and for the next two weeks many Olympic contestants will be taking their positions as they get ready for the ‘race of their lives’.

As I thought about taking our position in the race of life I was reminded of a wonderful new addition to our car. We’ve called her ‘Flo’ and she is a great help when we are navigating new roads when we are out driving. Flo is our GPS (global positioning system) – oh the wonders of modern technology! However, I have to say that Flo is not perfect and definitely not infallible.

When I was learning how to work her I used her on a familiar route from Sydney airport to home. She did well until I got to the top of the first freeway, at which point she told me to “turn back, turn back”. There was no way I was turning back, I knew where I was going, I realized that her data was probably a little out of date as there had been a minor change made in the road at that point. More recently Flo would have had us going in circles if we hadn’t taken over and gone the way we knew was right (after we’d done one circle!). I don’t think we had programmed our required destination correctly. Flo is only as good as the data that has been put into her ‘computer brain’.

As believers we all have a GPS – it’s a God Positioning System – otherwise known as the Holy Spirit. He is sent to ‘guide us into all truth’. We need to learn to listen to his promptings and follow his leading. He will lead us in good ways, safe ways that keep us in correct position in our walk with God. If we are wise we will check in with him often so that we stay on track. How do we do that? The Holy Spirit uses our conscience to keep us moving in the right direction. Colossians 3:15 says ‘And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts’ . Another version says, ‘Let the peace of Christ guide every decision you make.’ A sense of peace, given by God, can be our guide when making any decision.

Just as with my using Flo and getting used to knowing how to program her, we have to get used to working with the Holy Spirit and allowing him to lead us and learn to trust him as we go. He will never give us wrong directions. His advice will always be in line with God’s word so if you are unsure, check out what you are feeling and don’t neglect to ask advice from your pastor, leader or trusted Christian friend.

Prayer: Holy Spirit thank you that you are a faithful guide for me through the roads of life. Help me to tune into and follow your leadership. Amen

No comments: