Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Darkness




Are you, or is someone you know, going through a season of darkness?  Darkness can be physical.....power blackouts after hurricanes and storms; it can be physical....sickness, separation from homeland, hardship; or it can be emotional....... grief and trauma following accidents, loss, or mental illness.

As we look at the news we can see these things happening everywhere in our world, even in our own backyard.  Some things seem so senseless, like the recent death of a very young teenager who thought it 'fun' to steal cars.  Just yesterday 2 motor vehicles collided in the North Island killing 4 people and leaving many others injured, some critical.  The recent ravages of 3 tornadoes in the Caribbean and USA have caused much 'darkness', not to mention the horrific massacre in Las Vegas which killed almost 60 people. 

Can anything good come from such things?  I think it can.  The common response to such disasters is "How could God let this happen?" or "If God is so great and loving why doesn't he stop these things from happening?"  

Well, why doesn't he?  He is certainly able.  Why do bad things happen to good people?  A book has been written with that title which will go deeper than I am about to, but I am going to give you my very simple perspective.

The Bible tells us very plainly that it's not God's desire for anyone to die without knowing Him personally (2 Peter 3:9).  As he ALLOWS difficulties to come into our lives He is wanting them to cause us to ask questions about life and its meaning, about God and His plans for us.   

I was halfway through writing this blog when I went to the gym this morning.  On our notice board the thought for the day was.....
When the winds of change blow
some people build walls -
others build windmills.
When dark times come into your life, winds of change or winds of adversity what will you do? You can choose to build a wall between you and God, OR you can say, "God what are you up to in my life?  What treasure can I pull out of this experience, what can I learn that will make me stronger, more empathetic, more patient, loving or kind?"  

And I will give you treasures hidden in the darkness—secret riches.
I will do this so you may know that I am the LORD
the God of Israel, the one who calls you by name.  
Isaiah 45:3


Prayer: Will you help me God to learn from the dark times and find treasure in the darkness. Amen








No comments: