Thursday, October 8, 2015

A Question



I have set the Lord always before me; because He is at my right hand I will not be moved.  Psalm 16:8

What gives you peace?  Is it knowing that everything is okay in your world; all your ducks are lined up and everything is under control?  Are you at peace when your job is going well, your kids are doing the right thing and your marriage is working well?

It is relatively easy to be at peace when the waters are calm, the gentle breezes just right, and your boat is sailing well in the summer sun.  But what happens when that unexpected wind gets up, the clouds gather and suddenly you find yourself in the midst of a storm?  A storm of sickness, unfaithfulness,  children getting into trouble, problems at work, ..... the list could be endless.  Perhaps you find yourself in the midst of a storm right now.  How are you faring? To whom do you turn?

It is very easy to feel very alone in the midst of problems but Jesus has promised that if we have put our trust in Him then He will never leave us nor forsake us (Hebrews 13:5). Family or friends might let us down but Jesus never will.  If it's storm time for you then now is the time to step up and allow your faith to be tested and strengthened.  Prove God faithful:  to answer your prayers, to strengthen you through the storm, to give you joy amidst trials.  Yes it must be possible because James 1:2 instructs us to "Count it all joy when we fall into various trials....".   "Is he for real?",you ask. Yes he is.  He goes on to say, "Knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience."  Patience is a fruit of the spirit.  Our lives are meant to bear fruit.  Fruit to bring glory to God.

I had recently planted a new shrub out the back of our home.  The wind was blowing it about and I got fearful for its welfare.  My dear husband reminded me that it is by getting blown about that trees become strong and develop a good root system.  Of course, now I remembered that!  It's the same with us, with our loved ones; we so often want to be rescued or to rescue when we see the storms but that's how we grow.  If we need strength, wisdom or courage for negotiating the storm we need only to ask.  Jesus stands ready to help because He is our peace (Ephesians 2:14) and in His presence is fullness of joy (Psalm 16:11). Perhaps it has been your habit when difficulties and trials come to run to the phone and call someone for comfort and wisdom.  Instead why not turn to your Bible and pray that God will be your comfort and your 'listening ear'.  You can find none better, none more faithful and kind.

Prayer:  Lord Jesus, help me to thank  you in my difficulties.  Help me to see they have purpose  for my growth.  Help me not to fear what may come but allow you to be my shelter, my wisdom, my strength and my rock.  Amen






No comments: