Sunday, August 10, 2014

Transformation



Than Moses went up the mountain and the cloud covered it.  Exodus 24:15

For a couple days last week the distant mountains that we can see from our home were shrouded in cloud.  The weather forecasters were predicting severe weather south of us and in fact snow fell on cities that don't see snow regularly.  Yesterday dawned bright and clear and the first thing I did was check out the mountains!  Yes, they were blanketed in a glistening white robe. Stunning!

It caused me to think about the transformation that had happened.  First the mountains had to be covered in snow-bearing cloud before they became a sight to bring joy to my heart.  My thoughts wandered to Moses climbing the mountain.  The cloud came down on him but it wasn't snow cloud, it was the glorious presence of God cloud.  In the cloud Moses spoke with God face to face (Exodus 33:11) and received the tablets of the law.  When Moses came down from the mountain his face shone, so much that he had to wear a veil because his appearance was blinding to the people (Exodus 34:35).

In order for us to grow in the likeness of God, which he desires for us, we need to be transformed and this is a process that is happening as the Holy Spirit works in us (2 Corinthians 3:18).  Sometimes, though, we have to be in the cloud for awhile in order for God to do a transforming work in us.  These clouds take various forms; darkness, loneliness, pain, grief, frustration.  These times are uncomfortable but if we can trust God to do a work in us during such times; if we can seek after God in our cloud; then when the cloud lifts, we will find that he has brought about changes in us and we have become a little more conformed to his likeness.

If you are in a cloud right now, look for God. Seek him out, don't waste this experience, draw all that you can from it as you draw near to him.

PRAYER: Though I can't see you God, I believe that you are there and I trust you to do a work in me that is pleasing to you.  Help me press into you and find you in my cloud.  Let it be for me a glory cloud. Transform me into your likeness. Amen

No comments: