Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Sheep



My sheep listen to my voice; I know them and they follow me. John 10:27

I know many of you will not be at all surprised that my second blog post from New Zealand is about sheep, because there are so many here.  However, Jesus referred often to sheep so I am confident that it's fine for me to do the same!

This past week Colin and I were watching a TV program which follows the NZ Highway Patrol Police and incidents in their day.  Part of this episode was about a runaway sheep on a fairly well used road.  This poor sheep had become separated from the flock, perhaps by her own curiosity about the wide world, and escaped through a fence, or she may have been separated from a flock that had been driven down a road between pastures.

The Police officer tried to encourage her off the road but every time he would stop and try to approach her she would run off madly into the road causing traffic to have to brake to avoid hitting her.  She was a real traffic hazard and no matter what the policeman tried she ran off her own way.  Finally, and sadly, she had to be shot because she was exhausted and uncooperative.  Really, she determined her own end, though there are many reasons we could find to excuse her behaviour.

Jesus likened us to sheep and said that his sheep listen to his voice. The Merriam-Webster dictionary gives a few definitions among which are "to hear something with thoughtful attention" and the one that I like for the context of my purpose here; "to be alert to catch an expected sound".

Jesus expects us to listen for his voice.  I have to admit I am not always good at doing this, so that is my challenge today.  He is speaking in so many ways; through his word; through our own spirit; through others; through the beauty of creation and so on.  We need to be alert and be prepared to follow his leading.  It may well be a lifesaver for us.  It will certainly keep us 'in with the flock' because we know from his word that we are to seek the safety and security of fellowship with other believers, and it is so much more important as we see the signs of his return (Hebrews 10:25).

Whose voice are you listening to today?

Prayer:  Dear Shepherd of my soul, help me to listen for your voice with expectancy and willingness to obey, today and every day.  Thank you that you are always communicating with us in so many ways.  Amen














No comments: