Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Trust - 7



The godly may trip seven times but they will get up again.  Proverbs 24:16

One of the most difficult things for a person who is performance oriented to deal with is failure. Often this is because of how we were raised.  If you were raised in a household where failure incurred a parent's wrath, then it is likely you have an issue with failure.  It was one of the happiest days of my life when I learned to laugh at my mistakes and realised that we all make them and we don't get it right all the time.

Growing up my sister used to say, "You think you are perfect."  In a way she was right because as I look back I can see that I thought I had to be perfect or I wasn't acceptable.  Perfection is a harsh and unreasonable taskmaster.  I am glad that I have learned that it is okay to fail sometimes so long as I get up again.  Failure can be as simple as forgetting to do something we promised to do, speaking an unkind word in haste, having a day when our emotions pull us away from God's love and kindness and take us down Pitiful Path.  It is good to get over our performance problem before we go too far down the geriatric road where we face the reality of not being able to do all that we used to do.  It is not a failure to get old, but if we value ourselves only by what we can accomplish in a day we will fall in a hole.

How we handle failure can show us the true measure of our character.  The Bible says that we may fall often but we will get up.  Well that's good news!  We can do that because the Lord will offer us a helping if we allow him, and he will lift us up. Psalm 145:14 says "The Lord helps the fallen and lifts those bent beneath their loads." In times past I have looked at that hand and said, "Thank you Lord that you forgive me but I think I need to stay down here in the dirt a bit longer and beat up on myself. I haven't served my full punishment yet."  Sound ridiculous? Yes it is but some of us do that.

Jesus holds out his hand to lift us up because he is not surprised that we fail. He knows that we are dust, he doesn't discard us because He already paid the price, took the punishment for our sin.  To refuse his helping hand is to say that what he did is not complete and you know that's not true!  By refusing to forgive ourselves we fall into Pride Pothole!  That is something we want to avoid with everything  in us. Pride causes us to pretend everything is all right when we are falling apart inside.  Pride causes us to think that our sin is so unforgivable that we have to beat ourselves up.

So what is the answer?  It is to reach up and like a little child, look into Papa God's eyes and receive His help.  That is trust, childlike trust in a loving Father.  That's what pleases the Father's heart.  If you don't believe me go read the parable of the prodigal son again.

Prayer:  Papa God, thank you that you will always lift me up when I fall or fail.  Help me to receive your help and forgiveness and not feel that I have to perform for your approval, because your word tells me that you loved me and died for me even before I knew you, and your love for me never changes.  Amen










No comments: