Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Keys to Growth - 5




...let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. Hebrews 12:1

Have you ever sat on a jumbo jet as it rumbled down the runway and wondered if it was ever going to make it into the air? As you watch those thousands of feet/metres pass below,and you think about all that luggage people put into the overhead lockers, you just pray that this runway will be long enough for this plane to get off the ground. So far we have always made it!

In a couple of weeks I am about to embark on a Christian Women Communicating International (CWCI) Central Safari. For most of that time, apart from getting to Darwin and then home from Alice Springs, the speaker and I will be travelling in a small Bible Society, single engine aircraft, something that I became quite accustomed to during our time in Papua New Guinea many years ago.

I have been informed by our pilot that I may take only 15 kgs of luggage....including my handbag!! For me to be able to do that I am going to have to offload some things that I would normally take on a trip. My hairdryer will not be one of them! The thing is the weight is critical to an effective and safe flight.

When we come into the Christian life we often come with loads of 'luggage'. This can include habits that are harmful, unforgiveness towards people who have hurt us, attitudes towards ourselves which hinder our progress in life or lies that we believe to be truth, that cause us to stumble over and over again. For example, "I am not good enough", "I deserved the abuse I went through", "It must be my fault", "I will never be good enough", "I have to deserve God's love/favour"... and so on.

We come with twisted thinking which has resulted from what life has served up to us. It is like excess luggage what we need to rid ourselves of. It is important because those thoughts and attitudes hinder us and cause us to sin. Did it ever occur to you that your thought life can be just as sinful as your actions? Thinking that you are no good or not good enough will cause you to be held back from your destiny. It will prevent you from properly appreciating and receiving God's grace, which is freely given to you, not because of how good or bad you are (Ephesians 2:8-9).
 
Yes, the "sin that so easily trips us up" can so easily be coming from how we perceive ourselves. Perhaps this is why there are many who sit in church faithfully each week but never venture out to participate in building God's kingdom. We are loved by God, gifted for His purposes in this world, an overcomer because we are more than conquerors through Christ (Romans 8:37). Get your thinking sorted out and in line with God's word and start to live the way he planned for you to live. Abundantly! Come on, it's time to lift off!

Prayer: Lord God, forgive me for allowing wrong thinking about You and about me to hinder my usefulness in Your kingdom. Help me to know how to apply Your truth to my life and walk in the joy and freedom of Your grace in a way that brings You glory.

No comments: