Saturday, April 13, 2013

Keys to Growth - 4




Continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, ..... not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard.. Colossians 1:23

This is not a creepy Australian insect, but a wayward sweet potato that 'jumped ship 'in my pantry cupboard. It separated itself from the rest of the potatoes and got missed until today.  I figured it was a good illustration in our growth series of something that, even though it was in a dark place, with no soil to grow in, and no one around for 'fellowship', it still sent out shoots to grow.  Now I know this illustration has some 'holes in it' I want to use it today to illustrate and enforce the previous Daydrops on letting the word of God dwell in us richly. 

If we will study and embrace the word of God and allow it to become a part of us, we will have a store of nutrients on which to feed if ever the time comes when we are cut off from fellowship with other Christians for one reason or another.

The Bible tells us that we should not give up meeting together with other Christians (Hebrews 1:25).  We need fellowship and good Bible teaching to keep us on the right track.  It is too easy to become deceived and unbalanced and unbiblical in our beliefs without good fellowship and teaching.  However, sometimes circumstances arise where we  become unable to be with others.  It may be a dark place of separation through incarceration.  There are many Christians imprisoned for their faith and cut off from their families and churches, even from their Bibles, but if they have stored God's word in their heart, the Holy Spirit is then able to bring scriptures back to their mind to encourage, bless and strengthen them. (John 14:26). Don't forget to pray for these dear ones (Hebrews 13:3).

There may come times when sickness or travelling or something else takes you out of routine and fellowship.  I always struggled with being away from my routine of time with God and in the Word when we were on holiday.  I found it difficult to feel like I was staying connected with God, but I learned that even when I feel a bit cut off from God, He holds me and brings His word back to my mind.  The word keeps us grounded and we need to keep believing in the good news of the gospel, that we are children of the living God and no one can pluck us out of his hand and we continue to trust in Him, (John 10:29). 

Let the word of God dwell in you richly so that you can remain grounded and steadfast in your faith.

Prayer:  Precious Lord, thank you for your word which is such a strength and encouragement to me in difficult times.  Help me to allow it rightful place and space in my heart and mind so that it can keep me steadfast and grounded in faith.  Amen

No comments: