Monday, December 17, 2012

The Long Haul


And the seeds that fell on the good soil represent honest, good-hearted people who hear God's word, cling to it, and patiently produce a huge harvest. Luke 8:15

On our outback trip earlier this year we drove some long days, but they were not nearly as long as some of the road trains (extra long trucks) that passed us. The roads out there were flat and often boring, especially when the road stretched for mile after mile with trees either side blocking what may have been an interesting vista beyond.

As we travelled nearer the coast we crossed the Great Dividing Range. Our vehicle slowed with the load of the caravan we pulled and we needed patience.  However, we needed much more patience during the times we followed slower drivers when there was nowhere to overtake.  Have you noticed that the Christian life can be much like this?

Growth takes time, in fact we need to remember that when we 'sign up' for the Christian life, we have signed up for the long haul.  Sometimes we feel boxed in on a boring road and sometimes we can become impatient with what we consider to be our slow progress.  It's very easy to become discouraged and despondant when we 'lose it' and feel like we'll never 'get there'.  Sometimes we get impatient with others who do not meet our expectations.  Those are the times we need to remember that we often disappoint God too.  Not one of us has it altogether.  We are all a work in progress.  (I don't know how many times I have said or written this.  I feel like a cracked record.... or should I say a sticky CD!)

Learning to lighten up and laugh at our failures will help us keep humble before the Lord.  I learned a long time ago that it is pride rising up when I beat up on myself.  Humility is not being surprised when I fail, but getting up again and settling in for the long haul.That's how we patiently produce a huge harvest.

Prayer:  Thank you Lord that you are never surprised and you never give up on me when I fail.
Help me to have a heart that's set for the long haul with you, the author and finisher of my faith. Amen

No comments: