Friday, December 21, 2012

Gifts I am Thankful For


....in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 1 Thessalonians 5:18

This is the time of year when gifts come into focus in a big way.  Sadly for many the real Gift is overlooked, unknown or just plain ignored.  Jesus is the greatest Gift in all the world.  He is the Gift that encompasses so many other gifts, not the least of which are peace with God, unconditional love and joy.  I thank God for this priceless Gift.

Some gifts don't come in fancy wrapping and they don't cost us money, they are, nevertheless, very real and precious gifts.  As I look back on this year there have been highlights and lowlights, and that is normal.  We were never promised a life without challenge.  Just to live in this world and in our broken down society with broken people is challenging for sure. Add to that relationship challenges, disappointments, health issues, financial pressures, loss of dear ones and everything in between and we have LIFE.  That's just how it is.  I find that having faith in a God who is inately good and loving, One who wants the best for my life, is such a great anchor and I thank Him for the gift of faith that gives me assurance of His goodness and love.

This week I decided to think through the things that I am thankful for this year and I came up with a list which I want to share with you.  I'm sure I will think of many more things once I hit the 'publish' button but my aim is mainly to spur you to thankfulness.  We are to 'consider one another in order to stir up love and good works'  (Hebrews 10:24), and giving thanks, having a thankful heart or an attitude of gratitude is, I believe, a good work that pleases God and does us great good.  So here it is!

Gifts I am thankful for in 2012
The gift of Jesus, my Saviour, on whom I need to lean constantly
The gift of His righteousness, my own is sadly lacking
The gift of my husband, friend, lover, travelling companion and constant supporter, what a gift!
The gift of family, they bring us great pleasure and joy, we love them
The gift of good health, money can't buy it
The gift of friends and neighbours, old and new, they are precious
The gift of fellowship, church family, Bible study, CWCI friends and others worldwide, I love it
The gift of communication at lightning speed to stay connected, I need it
The gift of ministry opportunities in various places, a privilege indeed
The gift of travel to many places through the year and safety in it all, I'm blessed
The gift of provision of all we need, He is faithful
The gift of trials, they teach me, stretch me, grow me. I need them to mature.
The gift of answered prayer, it confirms my faith.
The gift of unanswered prayer, it teaches me patience and perseverance, and tests my faith.
The gift of hope.....for all that 2013 has in store for me - He will be with me no matter what comes.

Prayer:Heavenly Father, I give you thanks and celebrate your goodness and faithfulness this year.  Help me to maintain an attitude of gratitude always because I know that it pleases your heart.  Amen

No comments: