Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Small Things


A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver. Proverbs 25:11

As I was getting dressed this morning I was musing over an email I received from a friend in England this week.  She commented on my last Daydrops "Pushing Through" saying that she had laughed out loud when she read it because she thought I could be writing about her.  At 80 she still goes to the gym twice a week and pushes through on the cycle.  This made me smile and then I realised that I don't get to stop my workouts for a few more years yet!!  But what am I saying?  Didn't I recently write about staying in for the long haul?!!

Anyway, today I was also thinking about the small things of life.  I hate it when people find out that I don't go out to work because then they ask me what I do all day.  It's very hard to define really but this morning I realised that a good part of my day can be taken up with communication.  It seems such a small insignificant thing really yet it is an important part of my life.  I love to keep in touch with friends near and far and it all takes time.

As the years have passed I find that friends become more precious.  Often a word of encouragement is needed, or assurance of prayer support for those going through difficult times.  To spend an afternoon with a friend is not wasting time, it's building relationship and making memories. 

A word here and there can be reassuring and encouraging, even to people we don't know.  I was out shopping this afternoon, and where we wait to turn onto the freeway there have been extensive roadworks underway for some weeks now to improve the traffic flow.  Two workmen where heaving a road barrier into place and as I turned to drive past them I wound the window down and smiled at them shouting, "Thanks for making a difference."  It was great to see them laugh back.  It was a small thing but I hope it made their day better.

Such a small thing as a word can make such a difference to someone. The little bee in our picture is one of millions, yet his little contribution is so important in the whole scheme of things. His honey may be on my toast one day! Don't underestimate the many small things you do each day.  Hopefully they are making someone's life better.  Look for opportunities to 'make a little honey' along the way.

Prayer:  Lord Jesus, thank you for the reminder that I don't have to rich and famous to be a world-changer.  I can change someone's life with just a small encouraging word or act of love. Help me to look for opportunities to do so.  Amen

No comments: