Friday, October 12, 2012

Pushing Through


Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead,  I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:13b-14

When I got 2 minutes into my 20 minute workout on the cardiogym this morning I wondered how I could ever get to 20 minutes today.  My energy level was not as good as usual and this was going to be a challenge.  What am I saying?  Exercise is always a challenge for me!  I might like it more if I could see that it was making a difference to my shape, but I can't.  However, I know that it has to be making a difference to me inside; heart, lungs and vascular system.  Shame we can't see that, it would certainly be an inducement to keep it up in the hard times!  I just have to trust that it's doing me good even though the result is invisible.

It's like the Christian life really.  We all come to times when we think, "What's the use of these prayers and reading the Bible, I can't see it making any difference at all."  Sometimes we just feel like we are not making any progress, but rather we are going through some useless motions.  Is it really worth it? ( Sometimes I wonder that when I'm writing, especially when I see how few people read this blog,  yet I know that even if one person is touched by each devotion I write, then it has been worth it. My part is to be faithful and push on.)

Yes, it is, and you are just going to have to take my word for it..... and the Bible's.  In writing to the Philippians Paul spoke about forgetting the past (our failures) and pressing on to gain the prize that is promised us.  That's the secret.  We do fail, we have times where our spiritual fervour dims, there are days when we just want to jump into our day and not take time to give Jesus any attention, let alone read His word.  Those are the times to push through our lethargy and allow God's word to seep into our soul and set us up for the day.  We need to have fresh 'bread' every day to feed our spirit and allow us to refresh any weary or needy ones we'll meet in our day.  It really is worth it and it does do something even though we can't feel it or see it.

To gain our salvation Christ had to push through many barriers and obstacles including His own lack of strength in those final hours.  Yet, for the joy that was set before Him he endured the cross... Heb 12:2.  His joy was freeing us from Satan's grip.  Our joy is in being free to live for him in loving obedience to His admonition to Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly....Colossians 3:16.

My strategy for pushing through on the workout (and especially this morning) is to become mindful of and thankful for the health and strength I have to actually do it.  Then I begin to pray for all those who I know are sick or not able physically to use their bodies in the way I can.  This brings energy to me as I do my workout in the strength that He gives me day by day... and soon I'm done and feeling pleased with myself.

Prayer:  Thank you Lord for health and strength to do a physical workout even when it's the last thing I want to do.  Thank you that it is making a difference in my body even though I can't see it.  Help me to be faithful in my spiritual 'workout' each morning as I study your word and pray, knowing that it too is achieving eternal results.  Amen


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your Daydrops are always worth reading for the encouragement they give and to know others face similar journeys and the example you have been to others to make sure they finish their 'journey' well till their time is up here on earth. thank you for the using the gift He has given you for others to read