Saturday, January 23, 2010

Now is the time - To Do Your Best




Work hard and cheerfully at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. Colossians 3:23

Recently I went with a friend to see the movie “This Is It”, a documentary of the rehearsals for Michael Jackson’s comeback concert which never happened due to his untimely death. I had never really known Michael’s music, nor had I seen him on screen, only TV screens showing his latest personal sagas, yet something urged me to go see this movie and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Michael’s humility and gentle ways; his obvious respect for fellow performers and technicians was not the only thing that impressed me about this man. His great voice and his striving for excellence in a way that was neither proud nor showy were things that probably made him the much-loved artist that he was.

The energy and excellence of his backup singers and dancers also made an impression upon me, and something the producer said struck a note with me. He said that these backup performers were actually an extension of Michael; that in the concert, they were seen as one. Yes, Michael was the centerpiece but everyone contributed to the whole picture.

My thoughts strayed towards the church and ministry scene that we are a part of. Yes, there is most often a ‘central player’; the speaker, the soloist, but there are many others who contribute either up front or in the background to make ministry happen. I have often encouraged those with the gift of helps (1 Corinthians 12:28) that they are a vital part of making ministry happen. We need people who are happy to set up chairs, sound system, and communion, take up the offering and clean up after services or church social events. These ‘unseen’ people often feel that they don’t do much in the church, or that they don’t have any ‘real’ gifts, but the gift of helps is a very real gift indeed. Without it the body of Christ is incomplete.
Remember what Ephesians 4:16 tells us; Under his direction, the whole body is fitted together perfectly. As each part does its own special work, it helps the other parts grow, so that the whole body is healthy and growing and full of love. Under his direction, the whole body is fitted together perfectly. As each part does its own special work, it helps the other parts grow, so that the whole body is healthy and growing and full of love.’

No matter what our gift or given task in any part of life; church, work or our community, let’s do our very best so that the whole task or ministry is a success, remembering that we are all an extension of Jesus Christ in our world.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, help me to always remember that I am an extension of you in this world so that I faithfully fulfil the purposes you have for me to do. Amen

1 comment:

StorageCraft said...

Thanks a lot for encouraging me to what i always wanted in my life. This blog is very informative and has filled me with great amount of energy as well.