Friday, February 27, 2009

Now is the time... To Play It Safe


My child, listen to me and do as I say, and you will have a long, good life. I will teach you wisdom's ways and lead you in straight paths. If you live a life guided by wisdom, you won't limp or stumble as you run. Carry out my instructions; don't forsake them. Guard them, for they will lead you to a fulfilled life. Proverbs 4:10-13 (NLT)

A few months ago news came of two young men in their 20’s who died when part of a glacier in New Zealand collapsed on them. What increases the impact of this tragic event is that it didn’t need to happen. These boys made two obvious mistakes (as far as I can tell from news reports). Firstly they chose not to take a guide who knew the area with them, and secondly they actually ignored warning signs and crossed over safety barriers. I’m sure their parents and friends have asked themselves many times, “Why, why, why?” Such is the impulsiveness of youth. So sad!

King Solomon, known as the wisest man who ever lived took time to write at length, in the book of Proverbs, warning his son about the importance of listening to advice and walking in the ways of wisdom. Read the first 5 chapters of Proverbs and you will see that again and again the writer pleads “listen my son” and “pay attention to my words”. This is always followed with the promise of a good, safe and blessed life if wisdom is adhered to. Isn’t that what each of us ultimately desires? I want to tell you that we can have just that. Not a life without challenges – we need those to make us strong, to test our faith and to build our character – but a life that is uncomplicated by the consequences of sin and folly.

We live in a world that is overtaken with the results of people’s refusal to follow not only God’s ways but also the laws of the land. People wanting to do things their way with disregard for others. Laws are put in place for our safety and the safety of others. If we read and understand God’s word and walk in his ways, not leaning on or trusting in our own understanding, God will make our paths straight (Proverbs 3:5-6). To walk with God is sometimes scary in that we are led out of our comfort zone, but it is always safe. Staying within his “guard rails” is the place of safety.

God gives us boundaries for our benefit, not for his pleasure. They are to keep us safe and to save us from paying an awful price of grief and shame. If you’ve crossed the boundary, you have a choice to come back inside the fence to safety. Waste no more time, do it today!

Prayer: Heavenly Father, when I am tempted to take matters into my own hands and do it ‘my way’, will you please give me a check in my spirit and remind me that the risk is not worth it. Your way is best. Amen

No comments: