Monday, February 23, 2009

Now is the time... To Check Your Diet!



When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart's delight……. Jeremiah 15:16

Did you groan when you read today’s heading? Be honest now! Yes, the western world seems to be consumed with diet; eating too much, eating too little, what is good for you to eat and what is not; even when and how often we eat can be an issue. I think I am with the writer of Ecclesiastes who said this: ”A man can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in his work. This too, I see, is from the hand of God…” (2:24). As an aside, we do need to keep in mind that word work though, it brings an important balance to life. In 2 Thessalonians 3:10 it says that if one refuses to work, he should not eat. Mmmm!! Interesting social implications there for the day we live in, where second and third generations are living on social welfare in my country. Anyway, enough of that…… the diet I want to speak of will not make you fat or thin, but it will enrich you spiritually. Does that sound more interesting?

The prophet Jeremiah spoke of eating God’s words which is a rather unusual concept to us today but you can read in Ezekiel 3:1 where Ezekiel was called by God and in a vision was told to eat the scroll containing the words of God that was put before him (figuratively speaking). In the Old Testament the Israelites were sustained on ‘manna’ which was a heavenly food that God fed them with supernaturally every day for almost 40 years. It kept their bodies nourished and healthy which is miraculous. Jesus referred to himself as ‘the bread of life’. He was also called ‘the word made flesh’ (John 1:1,14).

When he was tempted by the devil to turn stones into bread, he told him that ‘people need more than bread for their life; they must feed on every word of God’ (Matthew 4:4). Jesus was, in effect, saying that regular food was not a complete diet for mankind. Our spiritual food is just as vital to us as our breakfast, lunch and dinner. The word of God is what will sustain us spiritually and emotionally which, in turn, strengthens our body. Have you noticed how weak you feel when your spirit is not strong? Christians will not survive very long if they don’t feed on God’s word regularly, preferably daily. It always amazes me that when I feel a bit down and I go read my Bible, my spirit gets stirred up and excited and I suddenly feel motivated again.

Are you feeling a bit stale in your spirit, a bit unmotivated and lacking in faith and vitality? Open your Bible and begin to ‘eat’ God’s word. The heavenly ‘bread’ makes for a great diet.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, bread of life, feed me from your word today. Fill my heart and my mouth with your words. Amen

No comments: