Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Now is the time ....... To Overcome


I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

When faced with the challenge of learning to work some new piece of techno wizardry it’s very easy for me to say “I can’t” (which really means “I won’t”), and give up, leaving it to my clever husband to figure it out then lead me through in steps I can understand. That’s called ‘spoon-feeding’!

Sometimes life offers us a challenge – often in the form of a habit that needs to be overcome, or a difficult situation we have to learn to handle. Perhaps it’s a person you find difficult to deal with. It’s part of the growing in grace journey that we are on; part of running the race to win the prize of the high calling in Jesus Christ (Philippians 3:14).

Seven times in Revelation chapters 2 and 3 it is written “to him who overcomes I will give……”. The promise of the prize is to the overcomer – not to those who avoid the challenge. Is this fair and just? I believe it is because as we abide in Christ we have all that we need to overcome whatever challenge we face. The nature of Christ is an overcoming nature. He faced the challenge of the cross, taking upon himself every sin the world would ever commit against God. He bore them bravely and strongly, overcoming all the power of the devil so that we could have restored fellowship with God the Father. In his weakest moments angels came and ministered to him for they are God’s ministers who help and sustain us in our battles.

Facing our challenges and overcoming them opens the door to our next level of growth. The taste of victory is sweet, its rewards are great. Is there a challenge in your life that you are facing right now? Is there an area that needs to be overcome? Remember that it’s part of the process of our being conformed more to the image of Christ.

Will you join the apostle Paul today and make a decision to say “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me”?

Prayer: Lord today I choose to draw upon your mighty strength to help me become the overcomer that you want me to be. Amen

No comments: