Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Now is the time .......... To Obey




If you love me, you will obey what I command. John 14:15

This morning as I sat writing on my balcony I noticed a little red car turning into the driveway that runs up behind our apartments. And what was so interesting about that, you may ask! It was because the car went into a one way drive that was clearly marked "No Entry". I have to admit we've done the same sort of thing after driving around in frustrating circles in Zurich for almost an hour, trying to find the way to access the rental car depot to return our car!

So what's the big deal? Well..... it reminded me of how often we are tempted to disobey, or just not obey, God's "signposts" to us. How often do we ignore a prompt to check something before we leave home, and we don't, or call someone who came to our mind but we don't have time, or give something to someone but think "Oh, that was just me thinking that, probably not God", so we don't do it. I'm sure you could add many more examples from your own experience.

How often we do not heed that still, small voice of the Holy Spirit and then lose time going back for something we've forgotten, or we find out that the person we should have called really needed to hear our voice and our prayers for them that day, or the one we were prompted to give to really needed that cash. Then there are the prompts that say, "don't go that way today", "don't have that extra piece of cake", "don't say that harsh response that just came into your mind". The Bible tells us that when we are God's children we have the mind of Christ (1 Corinthians 2:16), therefore we should expect that the good thoughts that come into our minds, actually come from him.

Why is it important to obey? Because, as Christians, we are supposed to be obeying God, not just believing in him. Jesus clearly states many times that it is those who obey him who are truly his disciples. It’s not just about doing good things, but about walking in obedience to his commands. Listen to Jesus… ” Not every one who says to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that does the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in your name? and in your name we have cast out devils? and in your name done many wonderful works? And then I will say to them, I never knew you: depart from me you who do evil.” Matthew 7:21-23. These were people who were doing great things in the name of Jesus but not obedient to him in their daily lives!
Let’s be sure we are obeying God in every area of our life so that we are truly his disciples.

Prayer: Lord grant me grace and strength to not only hear your commands but also to obey them. Change my heart that I might cling to your word and your way of doing things. Amen

No comments: