Monday, July 25, 2022

Candle Snuffing

 


There is something special about the light of a candle.  I love to watch the flame flicker and dance as the air moves around it, fuelling it's light.  There's something restful, soft and comforting to be had from enjoying such a simple pleasure.


I enjoy lighting a little tea light when I have my time with God.  It reminds me to quiet my heart and soul; to prepare myself to meet with my Maker.  There is nothing better!  It reminds me that Jesus is the light of the world, and he told His followers that we are to carry his light.  He said this, “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness but have the light of life.” (John 8:12)


 As a growing darkness envelopes our world in more ungodly, crazy, upside down thinking and behaviour; not to mention the growing fear and anxiety that is stirred up by media reports which are generally only bad news; I am reminded of the Apostle Paul's words to Timothy, "But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come:  For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,  unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good,  traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power." (2 Timothy 3:1-5).


On the other hand I am comforted by Jesus' words, as I read my Bible, that those who follow Him shall not walk in darkness but have the light of life in Him.  He is our good news. Those who believe and trust in Him have a wonderful hope of a glorious future with Him.  This world is not our hope, He is!


It is possible, however, for our lights to grow dim, or even be snuffed right out, if we are not careful. We can be caught up in the “cares of this world, the deceitfulness of riches, and the desires for other things" (Mark 4:19). These things starve 'our light' of oxygen and the flame is easily snuffed out. 


So, what is the oxygen that our lights require to shine brightly? It is time spent in quiet, alone with God to read His word, where there is wisdom for a light-filled life. A heart filled with praise and thankfulness will focus our mind on Jesus and not on our worries and stresses. And regular communication with God.  He tells us very clearly, "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7)


When I place the lid on my clear tealight jar I am always amazed at how little time it takes for the candle to be snuffed out.  Don't put your light under a bowl (Matthew 5:15 NLT), it will soon use up all the oxygen and go out.  Make sure that the light you think you have is not actually darkness. (Luke 11:35)


Prayer: Heavenly Father, help me not to get taken up with the cares and comforts of this world, but to honour you with my heart by spending time in your word and in prayer.  Keep me burning with bright 'faith light' so others may see and be drawn to the comfort and peace of Your light.  Amen

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Jackie
As usual your Daydrops are so uplifting and take form a world centred space into a God centred space.
May God bless you richly