Friday, March 11, 2022

How Hungry Are You?


 I am increasingly disturbed by the many people going hungry, not only in our own country but in our world.  I also feel increasingly helpless that there is so little that our resources can do to relieve that, but still, we give as we are able, and we pray knowing that God is able to use our little for the many, in some way.

 

Jesus knew what it was to be hungry.  When he was tempted by the devil in the wilderness, he hadn’t eaten for 40 days. Satan’s first challenge was to get Jesus to fulfil his physical hunger with a miracle of producing bread. Jesus replied using the word of God - “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.” (Matthew 4:4).  In saying this he was not denying that food is important, but that food for our spirit is much more important. The Bible is God’s word to us.  A Book of books that is harmonious, and miraculous in the way it came to be. 

 

Growing up, my parents always sent me and my sister to Sunday School, and once a month our parents would attend the family service.  They were good people but not committed to following Jesus.  I have since learned though that many of my Mum’s sayings which she had learned from her mother, were words from the Bible, often from the book of Proverbs.  My Dad had been a chorister and an altar boy, so he had grown up in church.  

 

When I was about 8 years old, I remember asking if I could have a Bible for Christmas.  My request was granted – a good old King James Version which was probably all that was available then.  When I was 13 I heard the gospel message clearly for the first time through the Open Air Campaigners who were visiting our church.  My heart was changed that day when I received Jesus Christ as my Saviour and Lord. I was encouraged to read Scripture Union Daily Bible notes which I tried to do faithfully.

 

I have heard some people say, that when they came to salvation, they couldn’t get enough of the Bible.  How wonderful that must be, but it was not really my experience.  For me it was a matter of discipline, a discipline in which I have had varying success at over the years!  I still ask God to give me more hunger for His Word, because I know how important it is to my spiritual well-being.  As Jesus said, bread is not enough.

 

Why is food not enough?  Well, we can have full stomachs but still be discouraged, depressed or hopeless.  Food does not help with ‘heart or soul hunger’.  The psalms demonstrate this  very clearly so many times.  The writers don’t usually talk about physical hunger but about emotional distress and how they deal with it.  They cry out to the Lord and then remember how God has helped them in the past, they feed on the word that tells of God’s victories and deliverances and they are encouraged.

 

Psalm 119 is full of praise for the greatness of God’s word.  Here are a few examples…..

Vs 25….My soul clings to the dust; Revive me according to Your word(Discouragement)

Vs 28…My soul melts from heaviness; Strengthen me according to Your word. (Depression)

 

 

Vs 105….Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. (Guidance)

Vs 169….Let my cry come before You, O LORD; Give me understanding according to Your word. (Wisdom)

 

Jeremiah 15:16……And Your word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart;

 

The Word of God has power to satisfy your heart, soul, and spirit in a way that nothing else can.  In times of difficulty, discouragement, depression I have turned to God’s word and it has never failed to encourage me.  The words of an old song tell the story so true….

            

            “Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in his wonderful face,

            And the things of earth shall grow strangely dim,

            In the light of His glory and grace.”

 

That reminds me of a scripture I love, They looked to Him and were radiant, and their faces were not ashamed.” Psalm 34:5

 

Jesus is the living Word of God.  He said, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger….” John 6:35

 

If your heart is feeling unsatisfied today, I strongly encourage you to turn to God’s word and read until it speaks to your need.  “The Word of God is living and powerful…..and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” Hebrews 4:12

 

Prayer:  Father in heaven, please give me a heart that is hungry for your Word which brings life and peace, wisdom, joy and satisfaction. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen

No comments: