Wednesday, January 8, 2020

My Lebanese Cucumber


A couple of months ago I bought a little Lebanese cucumber plant which already had quite a nice little cucumber on it.  (I like instant results!)  The plant was a bit pathetic really but the cucumber grew large enough to justify my picking it which I did....delicious!  

As time went by I noticed that despite daily watering, and being planted in good soil, my plant continued to look pathetic so I decided to experiment with it as I had done with a capsicum plant last season.  I gave it an encouraging talk!  "Come on, you can do it.  Show me what you can do!" Now you really think I've lost it but.....before you commit me, guess what.  Within quite a short time that plant (with more encouraging words) began to GROW, yes it did.  I've since had another cucumber from it with more to come.

So why am I telling you this?  Because encouraging words also make people bloom.  There is so much to discourage in our world today and people are far more ready to criticise than they are to encourage people with a kind word.....which costs us nothing if we are humble, but is a real challenge for those who are insecure or prideful.

I have to admit that giving encouragement is easier for me than for some because God has given me the gift of encouragement and exhortation.  That's why I write this blog, I'm using my gift to encourage you in your Christian walk to be the best you can be. However, just like the three servants in Matthew 25 who were given five, two and one talent respectively, by their master, we should be faithful to multiply what God has given us lest we lose what we were given. By using what God has given us we can be available for God to entrust us with more abilities/gifts.

This year I would encourage you to reconsider the words of Hebrews 10:25......"Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works." One of those ways is through giving a word of encouragement.  Proverbs 25:11 refers to speaking good words....."A word spoken at the right time is like gold apples in silver settings."

Still need convincing?  How about this one, a favourite of mine......Proverbs 11:25b ".... those who refresh others will themselves be refreshed."  This verse is speaking of a person who is generous.  There are many ways to be generous, it's not all about money.  We can be generous with our goods, with our time and with our WORDS.  Let's see if we can make it our aim to motivate one another to acts of love and good works by encouraging them and watching them bloom.

PRAYER: Heavenly Father, thank you that you give us words of encouragement to build us up.  Help me to purpose in my heart to encourage others with kind and affirming words this year and so do my part in building up the body of Christ, his church.  Amen





No comments: