Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Gifts - 2




I myself have selected your fellow Levites from among the Israelites as a gift to you, dedicated to the LORD to do the work at the tent of meeting. Numbers 18:6

I couldn't just write once about gifts as it encompasses such a huge area.  I cannot possibly do it justice but with God's help I would like to take it a little further.

As I read through Numbers recently I came across the verse above as though I had never seen it before.  The Lord said that he had selected the Levites as a gift.  How so?  They were especially designated to help with the practical work associated with the tabernacle.  God thinks of everything and has everything covered if we will all step up and do our part.....He makes the whole body fit together perfectly. As each part does its own special work, it helps the other parts grow, so that the whole body is healthy and growing and full of love. Ephesians 4:16.

As I thought into this I wondered if we realise what a gift we have in those who do the work of ministry in so many areas of church life. Usually it is left to a faithful few who get involved, working hard not only on Sundays but many times through the week, while the rest come as partakers on a Sunday.  That is certainly not how God intended things to be.  Look at Romans 12:4-8.... "For as we have many members in one body, but all the members do not have the same function,  so we, being many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another.  Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, let us prophesy in proportion to our faith; or ministry, let us use it in our ministering; he who teaches, in teaching;  he who exhorts, in exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness." When I sit in church I am often blessed by the beautiful flower arrangements which various people contribute.  I thank God for those who use this gift for His house.

Many and varied gifts are given to us individually by God's grace. And it is only by his grace that we can use them effectively.  If you are not in a church which makes way for you to use your gift then perhaps you need to ask God where and how he would like you to use it for his glory so that you too may be involved in building up the body of Christ.  He has a place for it somewhere.

Prayer:  Heavenly Father, thank you for the gift in my life.  Help me to know how to best use this to glorify you and help to build up the body of Christ.  Amen






No comments: