Thursday, April 23, 2015

The Mind

                                                                                 Photo by Jenny Williamson


So letting your sinful nature control your mind leads to death. But letting the Spirit control your mind leads to life and peace. Romans 8:6 (NLT)

When I have difficulty in sleeping, I have sometimes wondered how many lights I would see shining at 1 or 2 in the morning if I took a walk round my neighbourhood.  I know I am not alone in my wakefulness. Fortunately this only happens now and then and I haven't yet succumbed to taking a walk!  The thing I find frustrating, though, is that even lying awake, I find it difficult to focus my thoughts for very long either on scripture or to pray effectively for long. My mind just jumbles and rambles so in order to focus I need to get up, which I usually do.

I read something the other day which suggested that the mind is even harder to control than the tongue, I hadn't really considered that but of course it is true because our mind is the source of our words, good or bad (Matthew 12:34).

If our sinful nature, (that's the one that pleases itself, does its own thing, looks out for number one first and often enjoys focussing on the negative) is allowed to be in control of our thoughts, it leads to death (Romans 8:6).  For death you could read 'misery'.  We probably all know someone who is full of misery and woe.  That is because their mind is focussed on their troubles and themselves.  That is not what God wants for his people.  We have to allow the Holy Spirit to be in control of our mind and to do that we need to feed our mind the right 'food' and that is found in the Bible and good devotional books that will focus on hope which brings joy and peace in believing.

Today's world is full of negative news which breeds fear.  If we have a steady 'diet' of negative information and we don't counter it with regular input of God's word which contains instruction and hope, we will be on a slippery slide to despair.  As I look at Jenny's beautiful photo above, I see pure water which obviously comes from a pure source, but its also easy to find putrid, stagnant streams which have no life, no sparkle.  That illustrates perfectly the difference between the life controlled by the sinful nature and a life controlled by the Spirit of God. Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13. We are the ones who choose what will fill and control our mind.

Prayer:  Heavenly Father please help me to draw water from your pure spring of life, which is Your Word, so that my mind will be more and more controlled by You.  Amen



No comments: