Thursday, November 27, 2014

Shelter

                                                                                                                               

You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in your word.  Psalm 119:114

It is a good feeling to be sitting safe and dry in our caravan this morning, with thunderstorms growling all around us and with, (so far), gentle rain falling on the roof.  We feel snug and protected, but we do hope that it will dry in the next hour so we can hook the van to the car for our 10 am departure.

When storms of life roll into our comfort zone we need a place where we can feel safe and snug; a place to retreat to in the fiercest gale.  Sometimes the lightning of life's storm comes with a mighty crack and makes us cringe as it did just now, bringing with it stinging hail.  We surely need protection and we need to know where to go for shelter.

That place is Jesus.  He wants to be our hiding place, a refuge in our personal storms, our comfort and shelter no matter what life throws at us.  We can come confidently to him because he has invited us.  He has said 'Come to me ALL who labour and are heavy with burdens', (Matthew 11:28), and he has promised, 'Call to me and I WILL answer you' (Jeremiah 33:3) and, 'I will NEVER leave you nor forsake you' (Hebrews 13:5), and again, 'As your days, so SHALL your strength be' (Deauteronomy 33:25).

Your protection is there for every storm of life if you will just come to him.  But you must come and you must call.  He will not fail you.

PRAYER: Lord Jesus I believe that you came and died in my place that I might have an open door to God.  I come now for shelter in my storm and I thank you that you are with me. Amen

Photo by Sandy Simmons




No comments: