Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Good Plans




For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11



It is always exciting to stand on the edge of a new year as we do right now, and wonder what it may hold for us.  As we reflect on the year past we can do so with feelings of regret at resolutions not reached,  sadness for loss, thankfulness for reprieve, protection, strength for tasks done, joys for new friendships made, new places visited and 'missions' completed.

This verse in Jeremiah is my all time favourite because it reassures me afresh of my God's truth;  that He thinks about me, and not only that, but He thinks about me in a positive way.  Also that He has good plans for me to bring me peace.  As I write, the words of the psalmist, so well known and often spoken, yet often glossed over without real thought, come to mind.  Surely, (without doubt), goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life...Psalm 23:6.

Do circumstances of life sometimes cause you to doubt that God has good plans for you?  Do you live with regrets of past mistakes or wrong choices?  Has calamity struck, health failed, grief and disappointments come?  Yes, they do.  Stuff happens, but it never ever changes God's plans of peace for us.  It never changes His plans to prosper us.  If you need an example just look again at Job.  He suffered more loss than any of us would want to think about, yet I believe his continued trust in God's goodness caused him to to be doubly blessed in his latter days.  In the King James Version of this verse it says that God's plans are to prosper us.  Believe it.

The God who says, 'Behold I make all things new.' (Rev 21:5) has been doing new things and good things throughout history.  He is our Creator and His creative nature is to do new things.  He doesn't look back at our past, He is looking to do a new thing with us.  He says, 'do not remember the former things, nor consider the things of old.  Behold I will do a new thing.' (Isaiah 43:18-19).  Are you ready to see it and cooperate in His plan?

This is a new year, renew your mind with God's truth: His thoughts toward you are of peace, not punishment and recrimination.  He remembers your sins no more (Jer 31:34).  His plans and purposes are for good, not evil, to prosper you, not to harm you.  The psalmist has a key for us.  He says 'I would have lost heart unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of The Lord in the land of the living,' (Ps 27:13), and again 'my heart trusted in Him and I am helped' (Ps 28:7). 

Prayer:  Loving and Creator God, help me to believe and trust in your goodness this coming year. May I delight you with a childlike trust that truly believes you have good plans for me, even more than an earthly father has for his children. Amen







No comments: