Monday, March 4, 2013

Growth




  ........ grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 3:18
Increasingly in the past few months I have been drawn to notice how natural it is for plants to grow. Recently a young Grevillea shrub near our driveway had been snapped off a few centimetres above the ground.  Now, a month later, it has lots of new growth bursting out.  Some other plants that I wanted to divide into more than one head suffered at my hand, being topped by my secateurs and they have obligingly sprouted either side of the main stem now.  Growth can't help but happen if the circumstances are right.  Pruning caused double growth!

On the other hand, Colin found a beautiful rose when we were enjoying a cooling swim in a river when we were on holiday.  It was on a good stem with leaves. I took it back to the caravan and enjoyed it's beauty for our last couple of days then decided I would cut it back and bring it home to plant, which I did.  After a week of good conditions, just the right amount of water and sun it started to sprout and soon had little leaves, much to my joy.  Then in my desire to encourage it even more I over watered it and it drowned!  I was devastated.
Christians have the inbuilt propensity for spiritual growth given the right conditions.  Growth is part of God's plan and purpose for us.  We do, however, have to have the right conditions.  I thought I would list some for you to mull over, not necessarily in any order.
  • That Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God's love and keep you strong. Ephesians 3:17
  • .. know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. Ephesians 3:19
  • Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly. Colossians 3:16
  • Continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard..  Colossians 1:23
  • ...let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. Hebrews 12:1
  •  .... if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another. 1 John 1:7
  • Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice! Philippians 4:4
  • ....let us continue to love one another, for love comes from God. Anyone who loves is a child of God and knows God. 1John 4:7
  • I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. John 15:5
Prayer:  Lord Jesus, thank you that you have given clear directions in your word for my growth, but that the key is just resting in You, because without that I can do nothing.  Amen












  •  

No comments: