Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Process


Your own ears will hear him. Right behind you a voice will say, "This is the way you should go," whether to the right or to the left. Isiaiah 30:21

I often quote a phrase that I saw on a T shirt many years ago. It said, "Be patient with me, God isn't finished with me yet.". How true that is. But as we request patience of others towards our imperfections, faults and failings, we also need to extend the same grace towards others.

Recently I was thinking about the process my friend was going through to find a property to buy. She was not even sure where she wanted to live but was in the process and we had looked in various areas but had not found 'her place'. I was thanking God for the process because when we live in faith, we know for sure that God will show her the right place at the perfect time. In the meantime, our part is to learn to enjoy the journey. Sometimes that can be hard.

The process of becoming like Jesus is one for which we need much patience. So often we feel like we let Him and ourselves down along the way, but if we will just look into the word we can find many imperfect, 'in process' people:  God still used them. The time in process is not wasted. As we look back, we call it 'experience' and God uses our experiences along the way. Paul even managed to say that he took pleasure in infirmities, reproaches and persecutions and distress because through them he exchanged his weakness for Christ's strength. (2 Corinthians 12:10).

Out of our experience we can help others to find meaning in their difficulties; they can draw comfort from our stories of God's faithfulness. Our challenges are not meant to discourage or destroy us, they are meant to develop our character, grace and obedience. The word tells us that even Jesus learned obedience through the things that he suffered. (Hebrews 5:8) Embrace the process and be thankful for it. Something's happening!

Update:  My friend has chosen her new home and will soon move in...... the best part is that it is 5 minutes walk from my home!

Prayer:  Faithful Father, thank you that even in the difficulties, when I am impatient to be through them, you are doing something in me.  Help me to enjoy the process.  Amen

No comments: