Thursday, April 19, 2012

Rainbows



I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. Genesis 9:13

Blue hats, orange and yellow waistcoats with blue trousers and green coats.  Sound good to you?  So beautiful to watch the lovely Rainbow Lorikeets breakfasting on gum flowers in the trees outside my window.  They put a smile to my face and a word of thanks on my lips to our wonderful Creator for the beautiful world He has given us to enjoy.

After days of rain it's so lovely to see some patches of blue sky and sunlight again. One of Colin's favourite sayings is "Into every life a little rain must fall"  .... but 150 mm (6 inches) in 48 hours is inundation in my book! Life can sometimes be like that too.  Things can be going along so nicely, everything under control, until one day "wham, bam" trouble comes and you want to say, "Who let YOU in?"  Unexpectedly you are faced with a whole new set of circumstances you hadn't planned for.  What do you do, where do you go?  David wrote a prayer in such a time.  "From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I." Psalm 61:2. Jesus Christ is our Rock, he is the one we can turn to and find comfort, help and strength in the storms of life.  It doesn't mean we won't struggle with emotions that seem to overwhelm us at times and doubts that make us wonder when our faith got up and left.  We would not be human if we didn't have questions and wonder 'why?'. 

There is so much of life that leaves us with unanswered questions at times; these are the times we need to look for the rainbows.  In fact it's often in these times that we see the 'rainbows' more clearly and appreciate things that we take for granted when all is well in our world.

Following the great flood through which God kept Noah and his family I'm sure they must have wondered "How much longer, Lord?" and "Are we going to have to go through this again?"  I know I would have been asking some questions!  God reassured them that he would never again flood the whole earth.  As a sign of his promise he pointed to the rainbow.  Did you notice where it was to be found?  In the clouds!  There is no rainbow without rain and there is no rain without clouds. 

Perhaps you are struggling with some unexpected crisis right now, or you know someone who is.  Can you look for the rainbow in the clouds or help your friend to see one, not so much by offering words which may not really help, but by supportive prayer and loving actions.  There will be a rainbow there somewhere, especially in the promises in God's word.  These times that stretch us also make us grow - in character, strength and faith.  They are the times that give us a story to tell that will encourage others in their trials.  And isn't it a current saying - What doesn't kill us makes us strong!

Prayer:  Dear Lord, help me to find you in the storms of life as well as in the good times.  Help me to embrace the trials and allow them to make me stronger as I grow through them. Amen

No comments: