Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Wisdom's Way


Solomon loved the LORD and followed all the decrees of his father, David, except that Solomon, too, offered sacrifices and burned incense at the local places of worship. 1 Kings 3:3 (Read on to vs 15)

Following this God appeared to him in a dream and said, "What do you want?  Ask, and I will give it to you!"  Gosh, who wouldn't want God to ask us a question like that?  Solomon answered with humility and with wisdom. He admitted that he felt like a little child in his new role as king and was quite overwhelmed by it all.  He asked, therefore, for wisdom so that he could govern well and understand right from wrong.  The Lord was so pleased with this request that he promised Solomon wisdom far greater than had ever been or ever would be known. Not only that, he would also have riches and honour.  To that was added the proviso of a long life IF he obeyed God's commands as his father David had.  Woohoo, what a blessing.

What struck me as I read on in this passage was that when Solomon went home from this place of sacrifice which had been considered the most important of all the local altars (vs 4), he immediately sacrificed again before the Ark of the Lord's covenant.  That's what wisdom did for him.  It changed his place of worship from the ones that were considered acceptable to the place God considered acceptable.  After his encounter with God, he soon received wisdom to begin building the temple.

So what is the lesson?  Doing things in a way that is acceptable to the world is not necessarily the way that is acceptable to the Lord.  Proverbs 14:12 (penned by King Solomon) says, There is a path before each person that seems right, but it ends in death. What path would that be?  Probably the one that the world thinks is okay, acceptable, - yet to God it is a path that will lead to trouble and in the end, death.  Today the world offers a 'banquet' of acceptable ways but if we are wise we will seek to know the  right way.  To do that requires that we seek advice from wise people.  Who are they?  Those who fear, reverence and obey the Lord (Psalm 111:10).  Again Solomon says, People who despise advice will find themselves in trouble; those who respect it will succeed. (Proverbs 13:13).

Since my teen years when faced with life decisions I have tried to have people around me who could offer wise counsel.  I honour them for the advice given and I thank God for giving me a heart that was willing to listen which has kept me on a sound path and away from the paths that lead to death.  To this day I love the fact that I can ask God for wisdom in the smallest ways (dealing with the computer or buying clothes) to the biggest decisions (where to live and what house to buy).  He is always ready and willing to give us wisdom and will not 'resent our asking' (James 1:5-7).  What is it that you need wisdom for today?  Go ahead, ask the One who is willing to guide you.

Prayer:  Heavenly Father, you know the need for wisdom that I have in so many different ways every day.  Please help me to remember that you are always ready and willing to hear my prayer and  please help me to have a humble heart to seek you so that I walk in the way that is acceptable to you and therefore beneficial to me. Amen





No comments: