Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Now is the time.... To be Generous




They (the elders at Jerusalem) desired only that we should remember the poor, the very thing which I also was eager to do. Galatians 2:10

The phone rang last week and usually when there is a delay before someone answers I know it’s computer-generated with someone either selling something or wanting money for a good cause. Because it’s usually the former I quickly hang up before the operator can come on and ‘bug’ me with “Hello and how are you today?” I don’t know why they ask that because I know that they are not the slightest bit interested in how I am at all, it’s just an opener to a conversation I would rather not have! Oh dear I sound cranky!!!

Anyway this particular day it was an organization which we have supported for the past couple of years wanting our financial support yet again. I confess, to my shame, that I inside my attitude was not good (after all it is coming up Christmas with all its expense) but I did agree to give again this year.

I was convicted about my attitude because I had recently read this verse in Galatians 2:10. Paul was writing about the time he had visited the church leaders in Jerusalem to discuss with them his conversion some years before, and his subsequent ministry. The elders were quite happy with the teaching that Paul was doing which he’d received not from man but from the Holy Spirit (Galatians 1:12). The only thing that the apostles asked was that Paul remember to help the poor.

Jesus said that we will always have the poor among us (Matthew 26:11), and that He was sent to preach the gospel to the poor (Luke 4:18). A generous spirit comes from God who is generous beyond measure. If He dwells in us it will be seen by our desire to bless others when we can. He has shown us how to give by his own examples in His life, and the final gift to surpass all gifts – His life for ours. Our giving should include money but should not be limited to money. A generous spirit will give time, energy, a listening ear or a helping hand.

In a world drowning in debt let us show the world what a blessing it is to give financially and to give with a happy heart this festive season. Remember it is the season of remembrance of God giving His only Son. Let us open our hearts to see what he requires of us. In case you need a little extra encouragement may I leave you with 2 verses in closing. “He who has pity on the poor lends to the Lord, and He will pay back what he has given “(Proverbs 19:17) and “He who gives to the poor will not lack, but he who hides his eyes will have many curses.” (Proverbs 28:27). Nothing goes unseen by the Lord, He will reward.

Prayer: Lord God, help me to see the needs around me through your eyes and give with a generous heart. May blessing flow from me freely in thankfulness to you for all that you have given to me. Amen

No comments: