Saturday, August 14, 2010

Now is the time... To Listen


Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare. Isa 55:2

After a phone call with a friend I set the phone down in frustration. I had been anxious to hear what was going on with her, but I, too, had some things I wanted to ask and some things I would have liked to comment on and go into further but she had talked so long and hard that I had no chance for much comment. It had been an unsatisfying interchange. But I know I have done the same to others!

Although to onlookers I would seem to be a person with many words because I can write and sometimes get opportunity to speak to groups, in personal conversation I am usually happy to be the listening ear. In fact I am a bit of a lazy communicator day to day. However, there are times when I have things on my heart to share or ideas to bounce off others (my best way of ‘thinking things through’), and that’s when I would like to be heard…… please!

As I thought about my frustration I suddenly felt rather guilty because I realised that I often treat God in the same way……. I come with my “please God list” and rattle it off and rush off to my day. Yes, I talk to God all through the day on and off but I have to confess that I don’t listen very much. I love it when God manages to break through and share an insight with me, or gives me words for a poem or a verse of encouragement for someone. It is so good to hear from the Lord that I am surprised I give so little time to really listening to him. In the verse from Isaiah 55 you will notice that it says “Listen, listen…”, an urging to listen well.

The children of Israel were always being called upon to listen to God; Psalm 50:7 "Hear, O my people, and I will speak..”; Psalm 81:8 "Hear, O my people, and I will warn you..”. The communication in their day was mainly spoken through the prophets, priests and kings.

When Jesus walked the earth the people were urged by God to listen to him. While he was still speaking, a bright cloud enveloped them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!" Matt 17:5. Jesus himself called the crowd to him and said, "Listen and understand.” Matt 15:10

We will only hear God if we listen to him. We can listen with our hearts by reading his written word and meditating on it, discovering what God wants to say to us for today; we can listen with our spirit by quietening our busy minds and focusing on God in praise and worship and in quiet; we can listen to the word of God preached; we can listen to each other. I love this verse….. The Sovereign Lord has given me an instructed tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being taught. Isaiah 50-:4. Yes, we can hear God for others too if we will just give him the time to speak. We need to listen in order to be taught by God, and any good relationship is built on two-way conversation. Are you listening today?

Prayer: Thank you God that you are one who hears my cry and listens to my prayers. Help me to listen to you with an understanding heart and be willing to be obedient to what I hear. Amen

No comments: