Sunday, October 18, 2009

Now is the time.... To Regain Your Excitement



For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.. Jeremiah 29:11

My alarm was set for 6.30 but at 5.20 the raucous cries of the kookaburras heralded the first light and they were soon joined by a multitude of other birds, all excitedly greeting the new day. It was the excitement of their chatter that got to me and I decided to join them rather than sleep away the first light of the new day.

My mother was an early riser and always said that it was the best time of the day – try telling that to a teenager!! But as I sit looking out on the beauty of God’s world, listening to worship music, I have to agree that it is something special; and now as the sky begins to change from almost colourless to a beautiful shade of blue, the joy and expectation of a new day cannot help but rise within me. I’m so glad I’m not still snoozing!

In the busyness of life it is so easy to lose the sense of excitement and expectation that each day can hold. Instead our minds get overwhelmed by the burdens or drudgery of the day. ‘Stress’ is probably the most used word in our world today. Sadly I have even heard young children using this word. But it’s not surprising because children get caught up in the craziness of their parents’ busy lives as well as having their own full schedule of extra curricular activities. The days of just playing in the yard, a family walk or a quiet swing in the park seem to have mostly gone. I’m so pleased that my own grandchildren still know how to be happy with these simple pleasures.

Taking time to worship the Lord, read the word and talk to him about our concerns is a key to de-stressing. The old hymn said ‘Are we weak and heavy laden, cumbered with a load of care, we should never be discouraged, take it to the Lord in prayer.’ Time in the quiet of the day before the household starts to buzz can be time that restores excitement, anticipation and purpose to your life; all these things can and will work to de-stress you.

God has a purpose and a plan for each of us that will bring us joy and fulfillment. Tune into his heart and draw your daily strength from him along with peace and hope. He is always waiting to fellowship with us.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, giver of abundant life, please help me to come into your presence and seek you early for refreshing and strength for each new day. Amen

No comments: