Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Now is the time ...... To Hold Your Ground



……but Shammah held his ground in the middle of the field and beat back the Philistines. So the Lord brought about a great victory. 2 Samuel 23:12

One of the things that must be very hard to do, is to hold your ground in the face of the enemy. To stand and look into the face of the enemy as they did in battles of years past, and not flinch but face them down. Such was the stand Shammah, one of David’s mighty warriors took. He just stood and beat back the enemy. Did he know that he was going to win? I don’t know, but I know that the Lord brought about a mighty victory through him.

As I write this, we have a fairly young woman in our church who is holding her ground in the face of cancer. She is not shrinking back, she is not submitting to it, but she is ‘beating back the enemy’ who is seeking to destroy her life – quite literally. Does she know if she is going to win the battle? I guess not, but she does know that it is her Lord who can bring about her victory and she is standing on the promises in his word. She refuses to be intimidated. I pray that the Lord will bring about a great victory for her.

I remember another battle that the Israelites fought in 2 Chronicles 20:17. King Jehoshaphat and all Israel were afraid because a great army came to fight against them. When they came before the Lord to enquire what they should do, the spirit of the Lord came upon Jahaziel, and he gave them God’s message. It went like this ‘Don’t be afraid or dismayed, this is not your battle, but the Lord’s. Go down, set yourselves before them then stand still and see the salvation of the Lord.’ As you read this wonderful story (and I hope you will), you will see that Jehoshaphat set singers at the front of the army and as they sang praises to the Lord, the Lord had the army destroy itself. Only God can do that! When the Israelites came all they found was dead bodies and lots of loot! They got rewarded for a battle they didn’t have to fight. What a mighty God we serve!

I cannot help wondering if I would be so strong and brave in the face of such a battle but I do know that God promises that his grace is sufficient for each trial. He gives strength and grace when it is needed.

What is your battle today? Is it the mind games the devil plays with you? Is it sickness, persecution, discouragement or grief? No matter what your battle, hold your ground, don’t back down. Remember the battles you’ve won in the past and be encouraged. Sing a song of praiseto the Lord. He is the one who gives the victory.

Prayer: Mighty God, you are my strength and my victory. I choose to sing praises to you today in the face of my enemy. Thank you for your strength and grace for each new day. Amen.

No comments: