Monday, July 28, 2008

Now is the time…… To Check Your Measurements


I saw the Lord standing beside a wall that had been built using a plumb line. He was checking it with a plumb line to see if it was straight. Amos 7:7 (NLT)

Years ago while I was working for a furniture wholesaler in Papua New Guinea I watched the building of a huge new warehouse next to our office. The site was prepared, foundations laid and the structure made ready to receive the steel roof trusses. The crane arrived and lifted the trusses over the framework below. Problem! The roof was too big for the structure. There was only one thing to do and that was to rebuild the roof trusses to fit the frame. It was later found that the workers who laid out the foundations had used a tape measure which had been trimmed of some inches because it was damaged. Hard to believe, I know, but nevertheless true.

Site preparations have been going on for our new house as I write. It is in a development which has many trees that cannot be moved. Any building must go on around the trees. Normally this would be fine but when the builder came to measure for the concrete slab for the garage, it was found that one tree had not been marked correctly on the site plan. It seems that the person who had originally done the development plans had measured the tree from the outside of the trunk instead of the inside. This made quite a difference to access to the garage and caused our builder a few headaches in getting some adjustments made to work around the position of the tree.

Measurements are vital in construction of homes, carpentry and even in dressmaking which I used to enjoy. Just a few fractions of an inch (or millimeters) can make a huge difference. Accuracy is essential. But how does this apply to our Christian lives? In the verse in Amos God speaks to the prophet about a plumb line. This is a long line that builders used to use to get a straight line for a wall or fence. (Today they use lasers!) God told Amos that he was testing his people with a plumb line to see how they measured up to his standards. Were they in line or were they ‘out of whack’.

God’s word is our plumb line. It is so important that this becomes the standard for our lives. For us to be able to correctly build our lives in a way that is pleasing to and honouring of God, we must know his word. After many years of reading, hearing and studying God’s word it is relatively easy for me to know whether or not I am living up to God’s standard. I know what his word says and can measure my actions accordingly. If you are young in the Christian life I cannot over stress the importance of studying God’s word so that you can line up your life and conduct with his instruction. It is vital.

Solomon wrote “My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart, for they will prolong your life many years and bring you prosperity.” Proverbs 3:1-2 NIV. Read the book of Proverbs for some good life principles.

Prayer: Lord God help me to hide your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Amen

No comments: