Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Now is the time .......... To Forgive

And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins." Mark 11:25

I was recently challenged by David’s prayer in Psalm 139:23-24, “Search me oh God and see if there is any offensive (or wicked) way in me.” I wonder how long it is since you prayed that prayer? It takes courage because sometimes we, (read I), are afraid of what God will show us and what it will cost us to put it right! However, if we believe that God’s word is true and that his way is truly the way of freedom and joy, then it is easier to take such a step.

Sometimes we don’t even know that there is unforgiveness lurking in our heart, but if we are willing, the Lord will shine his searchlight on it and when he does, we will surely want to confess our sin so that we can walk in freedom and light. Such was the case for me.

For many years I held unforgiveness in my heart towards my mother without really knowing it. Because she had been ill for all of my teenage years I had been more of a mother to her than she had been to me, and deep down I had resented that. As I allowed God to bring this deep-rooted unforgiveness to the light I was given his grace to be able to truly forgive her from my heart. As I forgave, a huge load was lifted from me and I found a new compassion rising in my heart for her and a new understanding of the pain she had suffered in her life.

It is so important that we do not knowingly refuse to forgive because our own forgiveness from God depends upon our willingness to extend forgiveness to those who have wounded us. Forgiveness is vital to our physical health. It takes a lot of negative energy to hold on to unforgiveness. I cringe when I hear people say “I will never forgive….” I know that they will be in for a rough ride because there will be a price that they will pay for their unforgiveness. I have heard testimonies of people who have received major healing from sickness and disease… for many of them it only happened after they had released forgiveness to others they had been bitter towards.

Jesus made it very clear that forgiveness is not optional when he taught the parable of the unforgiving servant (Matthew 18). In Colossians 3:12-13 Paul exhorts the Christians, “Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.” Will you make the choice today to ask God to search your heart? It’s risky but worth it.

Prayer: Forgiving God, I know that as your child I should show your character. Please shine your light into my heart, search me and see if there is anything hidden that needs to be brought to the light. Amen

No comments: